Scan Disk & Defrag Problem

winksey 21:55 03 Sep 2003

When I use Scan Disk it gets so far then starts over and this goes on forever, it does not complete also my defragmenter gets to 10% then says the drive has been altered and goes back to the start time and time again. I have closed all running programs except explorer & systray can anybody help. I am running Windows Me.

holly polly 22:13 03 Sep 2003

Just how long r u leaving scandisk defrag running?-hol pol...

holly polly 22:16 03 Sep 2003

try booting up in safe mode (continuosly tap the f8 key at boot up )select safe mode and run scandisk defrag from there -hol pol...

holly polly 22:19 03 Sep 2003

scandisk takes an eternity as it checks all folders clusters and repairs any errors ,best advice i can give u is to preform this task as i do overnight set it running forget about it and hopefully in the morning all will be well-hol pol...

jospar 22:24 03 Sep 2003

Have you turned your anti virus program off, withconcern to defrag, if av on then you won'y get past the 10%

nooney 22:52 03 Sep 2003

I had this problem and the answer I received was to download DKLITE and it really is fast and free.
Some mags have it or search the net.

tbh72 22:56 03 Sep 2003

click here Clicking on this link will show you how best to use Scandisk & Defrag.

winksey 15:09 04 Sep 2003

Thanks everyone Holly Polly was right, I done a thorough scan and left it overnight,now everything seems fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?