Scan Disk & Defrag Problem

winksey 21:55 03 Sep 2003

When I use Scan Disk it gets so far then starts over and this goes on forever, it does not complete also my defragmenter gets to 10% then says the drive has been altered and goes back to the start time and time again. I have closed all running programs except explorer & systray can anybody help. I am running Windows Me.

holly polly 22:13 03 Sep 2003

Just how long r u leaving scandisk defrag running?-hol pol...

holly polly 22:16 03 Sep 2003

try booting up in safe mode (continuosly tap the f8 key at boot up )select safe mode and run scandisk defrag from there -hol pol...

holly polly 22:19 03 Sep 2003

scandisk takes an eternity as it checks all folders clusters and repairs any errors ,best advice i can give u is to preform this task as i do overnight set it running forget about it and hopefully in the morning all will be well-hol pol...

jospar 22:24 03 Sep 2003

Have you turned your anti virus program off, withconcern to defrag, if av on then you won'y get past the 10%

nooney 22:52 03 Sep 2003

I had this problem and the answer I received was to download DKLITE and it really is fast and free.
Some mags have it or search the net.

tbh72 22:56 03 Sep 2003

click here Clicking on this link will show you how best to use Scandisk & Defrag.

winksey 15:09 04 Sep 2003

Thanks everyone Holly Polly was right, I done a thorough scan and left it overnight,now everything seems fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017