Scan B/W Negatives?

Legslip 10:44 25 Nov 2007

My friend has a collection of over 400 2 and a 1/4 inch square negatives taken years ago with a poliflex camera. What is the best way to convert them to B/W prints? i.e scanner, software, process etc?

BBW 11:33 25 Nov 2007

On a recent course I did, we needed to do this with a scanner which had no negative scanning facilities. We placed a white sheet behind the negative, and scanned. Then converted it to a positive. On my own scanner, with 35mm facilities, I scan one half then the other, then stich them together. But with 400 to do, that is not an option! to time consuming.

pj123 12:15 25 Nov 2007

My Epson 3170 Photo scanner accepts 35mm, 2-1/4 square and 6 x 9 negatives and also Transparencies.

Been superceded now but plenty of other Epson scanners have the same facitities.

click here

Also check out eBay.

Demora 12:23 25 Nov 2007

On My Canon scanner I have to take out a white sheet and there is a small mirror under the sheet. So I'm thinking that making a card template for the negatives and the use of a mirror MIGHT make a cheap substitute for a new scanner.

I haven't tried my idea, but I have used the canons negative scanning and I had a really good photo from a slide.

D

the hick 12:36 25 Nov 2007

It may be possible to construct a device to support the negs. in some type of frame on the lens filter mount of a digital SLR, should you have access to suh a camera. In days of film, Pentax, and probably others, made something similar to copy slides direct to film. I do know that it is possible to take digital images of larger glass plate negatives, about 4.5 by 3 inch, in this way. Digi. cameras can usually focus close, with hopefully not too much 'pincushion' distortion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?