sb audigy fx install fail

SherryTrifle 23:21 11 Apr 2015

Asus m5a99x evo, amd fx 4100, 2gb gt360, 7.1 hd sb azalea on board sound. After nearly 3 yrs of irration with extraneous noises coming through the headset I bit the bullet and ordered a new sb audigy 5.1 fx sound card. Now I have no sound at all! keep getting the message 'failed to play test tone' with all formats. I'm thinking this must be something simple but cannot think what. All appears to be ok on the surface, no exclamation marks, drivers all nice and updated just no sound forthcoming. All ideas greatly appreciated. ps have disabled the mb onboard sound and deleted the drivers. scannow finds nothing amiss and i have run services.msc and restarted windows audio to no avail.

Ian in Northampton 08:54 12 Apr 2015

I'm sure you've seen it, but there's a suggestion here that a Windows update is the problem. The downside is, for you to check whether that's what's affecting you is that you'll need to reinstall Windows...

SherryTrifle 14:47 12 Apr 2015

Damn, that was a depressing read mate! Do you think this could still be a problem 5 years on?

Ian in Northampton 18:17 12 Apr 2015

You'd like to think/hope not... But I couldn't find anything else that looked relevant (and I'm sure you've looked in all those places too).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?