Saving/reloading AVG, ZoneAlarm etc.

French Chemist 14:47 12 Oct 2004

I am running my computer here in France mainly for the Internet. I am running 98SE and after 2 years it is getting a bit humpy. When I return to England for the winter I intend to wipe it and reload the OS. This will also remove the "virtual" "D" hard drive which was on it when I bought it second-hand, I hope that makes sense. I have no problems with this.

I want to save up to date copies of AVG, ZoneAlarm etc. because it takes ages to download the original program from the Internet.

If I go to My Computer, "C" drive, My Programs, then pick Grisoft for AVG. If I then right click on this folder and select "send to" will this send a working copy of the program to the selected CD burning drive or will some shared file be missed out?

Ray

g0slp 15:03 12 Oct 2004

Well, I don't know for certain if what you're proposing will work, but what I do, to try & avoid having to download initial programs such as AVG, Spybot etc, is to download them to a folder on my 'puter, then copy to a backup folder.

Once that's done I open the new software in the normal way. As I back up important data regularly, these copies of downloads get saved too.

Getting the latest updates for such programs after a reinstall is a lot faster than the whole program!

Diemmess 15:05 12 Oct 2004

Others may say I'm talking nonsense, but I think the answer is No (to send-to or copy).

AVG particularly is interwoven with the whole system if only to be able to detect and flag any changes. I am afraid you'll have to do without "a ot dinner" and download at least an update, and only that if you once paid for a CD

spuds 15:10 12 Oct 2004

I would suggest that you obtain a computer magazine cover disk for the new downloading of ZoneAlarm and AVG, makes life much easier.A simple task afterwards-just check for the latest updates.

Some cover disks carry a fuller range of security and protection safeguards.Again very easy downloading.

Stuartli 16:57 12 Oct 2004

If you have Nero Burning ROM (EasyCD Creater has a similar feature), use a CD-R in multisession form, pick a File name such as Utilities Backup and drag and drop what files, programs etc you wish to save into the File name's box.

You can keep adding whatever you wish to keep for future use until the disk is full. When you require to reinstall them just click on the setup or .exe link in each utility etc from the CD-R.

I use FreshDownload and have an FD Downloads folder shortcut on the Desktop. All downloads go there and I can after delete them after installation or keep them as a backup in the folder.

I also burn them to a multisession CD-R for further backup or for installation on other systems.

Stuartli 17:02 12 Oct 2004

If you do create such a disk(s) it's important to keep an accurate written record of what is on it...:-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 12 Oct 2004

When you download always choose the option SAVE the file can then be downloaded and saved to a folder of your choice. It is then available to install as often as you like. The saved files can be backed up to a media of your choice (CD) when you wipe the HDD you can reuse the saved insall files without having to redownload.

If you attempt to copy already install programs the chances are you will miss registry entries etc. that will stop the prog from running on the new system.

French Chemist 18:40 12 Oct 2004

Thanks to everyone for that very useful info. I will check the resolved box now. I will not be able to give you any feedback until around the middle of November when I should be back in good old England!

Once again, thanks.

Ray

Stuartli 16:44 14 Oct 2004

The FreshDownload method I've described does exactly that i.e. Saves the download(s) to the folder.

You can install the program from the folder and the original remains as a backup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?