Saving XP Windows Updates

bjproc 10:46 12 Nov 2010

I'm thinking about reinstalling XP on my mums computer.

I'm sure i read a good while ago in PC Advisor help section that you can disable some part of WU and then copy all the windows updates from their folder & save them.
Reinstall XP then place the updates in the same folder and it'll update XP with having to download them all again.

anybody have a link to how to do this?

cheers

bjproc 15:05 12 Nov 2010

thanks,

i'll have a look for that folder the next time i'm up at her house

lotvic 15:15 12 Nov 2010

the above from 124 is what you would type into the Run box to find the folder. If you want to do it the ordinary way in Windows Explorer it is C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

I'm same as 124 and have never tried copying and saving from that so don't know if it would work or not.

Terry Brown 20:33 14 Nov 2010

If you want to store the Updates on a DVD, go to Microsoft Updates and select Administrator Options.
this will save the file to a harddrive, where you can copy to a DVd or run it direct.
Terry

Autopatcher has been discontinued because Microsoft threatened legal action if it was not.
Terry

johndrew 09:55 15 Nov 2010

You may be able to download all you need from here click here

Terry Brown 10:11 16 Nov 2010

Johndrew

Have you used Driver etective, as I tried it and found it caused more problems than it solved.

My advise, go the Microsoft direct route.
Terry

onthelimit 13:59 17 Nov 2010

The Driver Detective you refer to is just an ad at the start at the list of update links.

johndrew 14:03 17 Nov 2010

I simply offered the site for the updates it offers nothing else.

bjproc 12:00 05 Jan 2011

thanks for all the imput into this guys, but now i'm wishing i kept the pc advisor magazine that it was in, as it looked a simple way of keeping the updates

john bunyan 14:07 05 Jan 2011

Do look up slipstreaming on Google: an example:

click here

If your mum's pc is capable, I would install W7!

sunnystaines 17:20 06 Jan 2011

there used to be software on major geeks which had them all but not seen it for a while, cannot remember what it was called.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?