Saving Webpages on .mht

jordi2 12:27 29 Mar 2003

I like to save Webpages on ".mht" because
they don't create folders with images like "html",
but I have realise that it does not work if the page is too large.

Is there anyway around this?Anyone knows whats the best way of saving a webpage without extra
folders?

cheers

Pesala 16:05 29 Mar 2003

I've never heard of the extension *.mht and cannot find it on the web. Why are folders a problem? Do you want to transfer the webpage via CD for example to show it to others?

VoG™ 16:09 29 Mar 2003

.MHT is archived web page click here

That's all I know!

Pesala 16:36 29 Mar 2003

That makes two of us.

canard 13:40 30 Mar 2003

In the drop down box for save-save as type save as HTML only saves the page without getting that extra folder with all the pic bits. Much tidier.

jordi2 15:29 04 Apr 2003

Now that we all know what .mht,
does anyone know why it does not work
if the page is too large?

BurrWalnut 15:36 04 Apr 2003

Just a guess, could it be that it is "invisibly" saved via Notepad which has known size restrictions?

Taran 18:29 04 Apr 2003

Notepad has an issue with large plain text files, but the files themselves can actually be comparatively huge and opened in other applications, so it isn't the file at fault - it's a program limitation, which can be fixed with a registry alteration or by using a different plain text editor.

jordi2 - there could be several possible and quite likely reasons here, regarding your web archive problems.

Web archives have known issues with certain graphics files, among other things.

Without wanting to appear condescending, think of it like this - a web page is made up of lots of pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. You have the underlying core code of the page, then any image files, then - and here we enter a difficult area - you have active or dynamic content, where certain elements of the page perform specific tasks or change regularly, like Java-Scripts, animations database links and similar. Now try cramming all of that information into one file, without losing anything in the process. Often it works, but sometimes it does not.

Your best bet if you want to save a page, is to create a root folder for it to live in and save the page in full as an HTML web page in the folder you made for it. Yes, you get the sub-folders for images and similar, but if you create a dedicated folder for the page to live in and name it something significant to you for easy identification, you almost guarantee a full web page save with no losses along the way, depending of course, on file format.

Another alternative is to use a dedicated third party Web Archiving tool, like WinMHT.

Much depends on which pages you are trying to archive, their underlying code and what they contain.

One possible fix could be to reinstall Outlook Express or upgrade to the latest version of it, if you haven't already done so. Save As Web Archive depends on Outlook Express - well, actually it depends on specific files that come as part of Outlook Express. Either reinstalling OE or upgrading to the latest version may help. Then again, it may not, but it's the best I can come up with on short notice.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards

Taran

€dstow 18:35 04 Apr 2003

There is invariably a load of junk on web pages that I would not want to keep so I highlight the parts I want, copy and paste into Word or some other suitable program and save that.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?