saving web page pictures

34jc91 08:55 19 Jul 2003

When I save a picture from a web page, I always ask it to save it as a 'jpeg', a lot of the time it only saves as a 'file' and when I try to open it I get the message "windows cannot open this file", I then have to browse the programmes and the only one that will work is "windows picture and fax viewer" which opens it as a 'bmp', I can now save it as a 'jpeg'. Could anyone please advise me of a easier way of doing it?

Patr100 09:27 19 Jul 2003

In IE Go to /tools/ internet options. Clear your temporary files (delete files) to start with.

Pesala 13:25 19 Jul 2003

Right-click, copy, open Irfan View, or Windows Paint, then paste the image. Irfan View is an essential free tool - click here if you don't already have it.

Or in Opera, right-click, and "Open in Irfan View." click here to see how to do that. Opera is also freeware. click here

Gingermum 16:01 19 Jul 2003

When you right click on the graphic and select "Save picture as", a format is suggested to you and this is the format of the graphic. You cannot convert it to another format from here. Therefore save it in the suggested format and if you must, you can convert it later using a graphics program. The graphic will most probably be in an optimised format anyway so there is no logical reason to convert it unless you're trying to make a smaller file, and this is where it gets complicated and I'm not going into that here. But why do you want to convert to jpg?
There is no need to clear your temporary internet files.

Patr100 20:17 19 Jul 2003

In fact, there is a known bug with IE as listed in the Microsoft Knowledge base which causes the "save as" format to revert to BMP and not JPEG. A web image is most likely to be a Gif or Jpeg and not, except in certain rare circumstances saved as a BMP (where a username appears in the url of the relevant page, even though it will have been originally uploaded as a jpeg.

If 34jc91 has this problem and is apparently saving images as BMP - which are not associated with his usual graphics viewer - hence the "file" ie unassociated windows file, Clearing the IE temp files corrects this problem .
BMP files are much too large to be used in web pages.

34jc91 10:33 20 Jul 2003

I think that's given me plenty to go at, thanks to all for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?