Saving photographs?

spuds 12:00 21 Dec 2010

Apologies for this and perhaps an inappropriate title. But my brain is not working right this week!.

A friend as a computer which they say is in a total mess, possibly due to trojans, viruses etc, and they want me to clean it up for them, with perhaps a reformat of their existing Windows XP.

Apparently they have a number of photographs on the computer that they are desperately wanting to save (memory stick or dvd!) for future prosperity and also perhaps put back on the reformatted machine for future reference. Not sure how much storage space would be required.

Can you advice or provide a link on how to complete the storage and transfer correctly?.

All help very much appreciated.

shellship 12:29 21 Dec 2010

Should be easy enough. If the photos are in his My Pictures folder then just copy that folder to a USB memory stick. When the computer is repaired and clean, just copy it back. A 4 Gb stick should be ample unless he has an awful lot of them.

Terry Brown 12:45 21 Dec 2010

Open search; Select to search for 'Pictures' .
Select all drives and let it run.

This will find all graphic related items on your computer including jpegs,avi,mpeg and most other formats.

When ready press CTRL +A to select all.

Copy to another location or drive.

Done.

Terry

spuds 13:36 24 Dec 2010

Thanks guys, and apologies for not coming back sooner, but I have been waiting for the computer to be delivered. After the New Year now!.

Will tick this as resolved, but might come back to it later. Thanks again, all much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone