Saving Outlook?

katswhiskers 16:30 31 Mar 2007

I want to backup Outlook - everything. I have been recommended to use the following by two different people. Which is best? What is the difference?

Comma Separated Values (Windows)
OR
Personal Folder File (.pst)

Thanks in advance.

VoG II 16:47 31 Mar 2007

If you are planning to use the backup (if needed) with Outlook then click here

See also click here

katswhiskers 17:12 31 Mar 2007

So have I been told wrongly to use Comma Separated Values (Windows)? It's all double dutch to me!

FreeCell 18:06 31 Mar 2007

If you want to back up everything in Outlook then as VoG has already indicated you should back-up the .pst file.

Don't realy know why you were recommended the comma separated values optionas this is an option on Exporting Outlook data. This is a format used to transfer data between disparate applications and would only be useful if you wanted to take the Outlook data and use it in some other program. Given you asked for advice on backing up everything in Outlook, which would include emails, contacts, task lists, etc then you would have a very large csv file and making a copy of the .pst is the better option.

If you want to export a contact list for example then you can consider File - Import and Export - Export and in here you will find the comma separated values (Windows) option.

Hope this helps.

What

katswhiskers 19:39 31 Mar 2007

Hmm - sorry I'm a bit thick here. What I really want to do is save the whole of Outlook (emails, address book, etc)onto a CD or DVD.

Which is the best way to do that please?

Thanks.

wee eddie 21:09 31 Mar 2007

what do you plan to do with it.

If you plan to reload it into Outlook, if you have a problem, at a later date. Then .pst is the way to go.

If you plan to read it with some other program, then Comma Separated Values is the way to go. Bit I tried that, once, many years ago and never again.

wee eddie 21:15 31 Mar 2007

At the time, my secretary was being paid £4.00 per hour. The amount of time it took us to sort things out it would have been cheaper to buy a replacement copy of Outlook.

Which I had to do anyway.

katswhiskers 10:45 01 Apr 2007

Right. My hard drive is sounding dodgy, so I plan to reload it when that is sorted. OK I will use .pst then.

Just wondering - why would someone want to read it in/with another programme? What kind of programme could that be?

Thanks.

FreeCell 11:02 01 Apr 2007

Sounds a good choice to go with the .pst if your disk is likely to fail.

An example of exporting data from Outlook to another program would be if you wanted to get all your contact's details into Excel so you could manipulate the details and/or sort in different ways. You may also want to import your contacts into another Address Book, not Outlook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone