saving network key ??

normskee 15:43 10 Nov 2006

I have just got my computer networked. I have the router and a network key installed.

The problem I have is the second computer keeps loosing the settings every time I turn off the computer.

Any ideas why this is, the screen you type the network key into keeps changing settings.

Any help would be great.

Angela

Ashrich 17:59 10 Nov 2006

Can we have some other information regarding the second PC , I assume it is wirelessly connecting to the network , hence the network key , so which operating system are you using on it , are you using the software supplied with the wireless adapter and if so , what make is it ? . That should get us a start ! .

Ashley

normskee 18:08 10 Nov 2006

Yes it is a wireless connection. It is an Orange hub and no the wireless network card is mimo wireless adapter, it was istalled by the computer shop not myself.

I just can't understand why the settings don't stay the same when we turn off the machine. I am on windows XP pro on both machines.

Hope that is any use to you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Angela

Strawballs 21:56 10 Nov 2006

If the shop installed the software for the wireless card uninstall it and leave just the drivers and let windows manage the wireless.

Ashrich 23:13 10 Nov 2006

If you don't fancy uninstalling the software for the wireless card try going into Start / Settings / Control Panel / Network Connections , find your wireless card or wireless connection listed , right click on it and drill down to properties , and in the " Wireless Networks " tab , tick the box that says " Use Windows to configure my wireless network " click on Ok , then double click on the icon on the task bar ( looks like a single computer screen ) to see networks available . Double click again on your network and it will ask for your key , put it in and connect to the network and internet to check it is working , reboot and it should connect automatically .

Ashley

normskee 11:22 12 Nov 2006

Hi and thanks

I tried your ideas, I uninstalled the software and put it back on but now lost the link to the livebox in the properties tab.

I tried your advice ashley but it didn't work either. I had done that already previously.

Now I need to be able to see the livebox again before I can go anywhere.

Any ideas?

Angela

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?