Saving my emails

JF25 09:26 11 Jun 2010

I am changing my computer and would like to save my emails and load on to my new computer. Can I save them to a disk or USB2 Flashdrive?
Thanks for reading
John

Ex plorer 09:42 11 Jun 2010

I think your provider holds all your emails and when you log on with your new PC all emails will be there.

The Kestrel 09:45 11 Jun 2010

You can use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to do this for you, along with any other files you wish to transfer.

sheila.weston 10:15 11 Jun 2010

Why can't he find the *.dbx file folder in his old computer,copy the dbx files to a disk and then copy them over to the corresponding folder on his new computer OR use the import option on his windows mail program?

Pineman100 12:43 11 Jun 2010

I'm assuming that you're using Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail to download your emails into your computer.

If so, as Sheila suggests, all of these programs include an Export function on the File menu. Export your messages to a USB drive or a CD as a .csv file. Then on your new computer, do the same thing in reverse by importing them.

Woolwell 13:18 11 Jun 2010

Ex plorer's information is incorrect. This is only true if your are using IMAP, have ticked the box to leave messages on the server or you are exclusively using webmail.
The remainder of the post's should work for you.

lotvic 22:04 11 Jun 2010

It would be good if you told us which email program you have at present and which one you will be using on your new pc.

This does affect how to Export and/or save and Import to new pc.

It's because of the file structure (.dbx for OE, .pst for Outlook, etc etc.

JF25 09:36 12 Jun 2010

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I do not know how to find the dbx file.
When I click on export in the OE file I says This will export messages from OE to MS Outlook or MS exchange. It does not give chance to send to disk or flash card.
For the information of lotvic the email programme is Outlook Express on old computer and will probably be the same on new.

onthelimit 10:24 12 Jun 2010

If your new computer has Windows 7, I don't think that comes with OE.

Woolwell 11:21 12 Jun 2010

OE will not run on Windows 7. You will need Windows Live Mail see click here

lotvic 12:02 12 Jun 2010

Excellent link that :) very clear instructions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache