Saving on-line downloads.

spuds 12:27 05 Apr 2009

I am having many problems with one of my computers, and it looks like a complete reformat is needed.

The question that I ask, is how can I save and re-use some programs that I downloaded on-line, and was provided with activation code keys at the same time. I want to use some of these same (not lose) worthwhile programs in the computer after the new format.

BT 12:31 05 Apr 2009

You really should save them at the time you download them. I always save them to a folder along with a text file with any activation codes or serial numbers. These are then periodically transferred to a CD or DVD for long term storage. You can get several downloaded prgrams on a single disc depending on the size.

spuds 12:37 05 Apr 2009

Thanks for the fast response, but saving to disk was one of those regular oversights at the time :O(

Taff™ 12:53 05 Apr 2009

Run Belarc Advisor click here and print out the result. This will give you a list of all installed programs and some of the registration keys. SIW May also give you more information so try that as well. Have a look under Secrets within the program as well - you`ll be surprised what passwords it wil;l give you. click here

spuds 15:25 10 Apr 2009

I have now managed to locate the downloads, as a saved item's.

Thanks again for the the responses.

Ticked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?