Saving as jpeg changes the colours

gazcoyle 07:13 31 Mar 2008

OK using photoshop Elements 2 (never needed to upgrade) for some strange reason in the last couple of days when i save for web or save as jpeg and then upload the images to my website the images are oversaturated and slightly darker in the shadows.

When using the save for web i look at the preview on the right and this looks OK but on the left window in the "original" image window this looks over saturated

Why has this just started to happen, i recall this happening to me a few years ago and there was some really simple fix which ive forgot.

Gary

hssutton 08:17 31 Mar 2008

I suggest that you look at what colour space you are using, Ideally for the web you need sRGB. So check your colours settings

gazcoyle 09:09 31 Mar 2008

Dont mean to be dumb but how would i do this, i know my monitor uses the adode rgb 1998 profile

hssutton 09:31 31 Mar 2008

I'm not to sure how you would do this in elements, but in Photoshop it's "Edit>>Colour Settings.

For most things use sRGB including printing, unless you have prints done at a specialized printer, even then most of the online photo printers use sRGB, as do the High Street printers.

Would also suggest that you change you monitor settings to sRGB

click here

Another way to improve your colours is to calibrate your monitor, there are two ways of doing this, by far the best costs money buying such as Colourvisions Spyder or the Pantone huey.
There is another way that will give resonable results and this is free. click here

gazcoyle 09:39 31 Mar 2008

Thanks for the input, im currently at work and the firewall blocks access to your link but ill have a look at home later

Gary

Simsy 11:01 31 Mar 2008

but perhaps the "gamma" setting has been altered.

Regards,

Simsy

gazcoyle 17:20 31 Mar 2008

Thanks but now resolved, quite simple really, my monitor profile had been changed and setting it back to srgb did the trick, well done hssutton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires