saving jpeg attachments in hotmail

tonyq 11:41 25 Mar 2006

Hi All,
When I receive a email(Hotmail IE6 WinXP) with a *.JPEG attachment, I click on the file attached, a new page opens.

Name of File: abcd.jpg
Virus Scan Result: No Virus Found

When I click on 'Download File', no dialog box ('save file as' or 'open with') appears, but it automatically opens the *.jpeg file in a browser page. If I go to File "Save As" I get the option of save as "Web Page",if I Right Click on the picture the only option I have is to save as a "Gif" file,can anyone tell me why I don't get the normal dropdown "Save As" box where I have the option to save as .jpeg,and how I can rectify this.
Regards tonyq

jolorna 11:48 25 Mar 2006

i have found that problem so i just forward to another email account then download

tonyq 13:45 26 Mar 2006

Hi jolorna
I have tried forwarding to another account but got the same result,when I get the chance I will try opening the .jpeg attachment on a different computer to see if that makes a differance.
Regards tonyq

jolorna 08:00 27 Mar 2006

i forward the whole email and haven't had a problem with it yet, sorry can't suggest anything else

remind 08:09 27 Mar 2006

appears to be a quirk of hotmail - you should have the option to save the image as a BMP too (saving it as .gif will reduce it to 256 colours) - save as BMP and convert it to .jpg with something like Irfanview click here or even MS Paint

pj123 16:47 27 Mar 2006

I am not sure that it is a "quirk of hotmail" as remind suggests.

I have just sent a test email with a jpg attachment to my Hotmail account.

I clicked once on the attachment and then Download File and I got the normal download dialogue box "Do you want to open or save etc"

I select Save and then the location where I want it saving to and it all went smoothly.

In the File Name box I did append .jpg to the name that was already there.

tonyq 18:45 27 Mar 2006

Hi
I don't get the normal dropdown save dialogue box when trying to save jpeg attachments,but do get the normal dropdown save box when opening other types of attachments.
Regards tonyq

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?