saving files before reformatting

oldbeefer2 10:06 15 Nov 2004

Now I am about to do a fresh install of XP Home, would appreciate advice on the easiest way to save all my existing documents, e-mail settings and what have you to transfer to the confuser after the reinstall. I do have a CD writer. Thanks, Richard.

TomJerry 10:17 15 Nov 2004

called "Transfer My Documents and Setting to a New Computer". Cannot remember where to find it, but I think it is under system tool or my computer. No XP machine on hand now. I am sure other will point you to the right direction.

oldbeefer2 11:33 15 Nov 2004

Thanks, Tomjerry. Found this under Accessories, but it only seems to apply to the transfer of information from one machine to another, and not from one and back onto the same after reformat.

oldbeefer2 11:59 15 Nov 2004

Just delved a bit deeper into the 'transfer files' wizard, and it does look as though a burn to a CD is possible. Will look further tonight.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:29 15 Nov 2004

Make a folder called Reformat or whatever on your desktop. COPY.... all relevant info to this folder. Save emails etc using the file export wizard. Copy your favourites folder to the new folder and any programmes from the C drive-programmes that you need to keep but do not have the disks for. Write down your email and connection settings...burn the folder to a CD. Check the CD has burned correctly and that all the info is accessible. Reformat.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?