Saving Favourites to use after format

zeppman 16:55 12 Jun 2009

I am going to format and would like to save the list of favourites.I have tried saving the favourites before my last format and when I put them back in I ended up with one list of fovourites in the list of the new one which is not what I wanted anyone know a better way.

Clapton is God 16:58 12 Jun 2009

Assuming XP; go to C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name and save the Favourites (star-shaped icon) to a pen drive or something similar.

I've used that method to transfer my Favourites to many PCs and laptops in the past

Clapton is God 16:58 12 Jun 2009

Assuming XP; go to C:/Documents and Settings/Your User Name and save the Favourites (star-shaped icon) to a pen drive or something similar.

I've used that method to transfer my Favourites to many PCs and laptops in the past

zeppman 17:07 12 Jun 2009

when reinstalling these how do I make sure there Is only one list

Clapton is God 17:14 12 Jun 2009

Sorry, not with you.

The list will be exactly the same as your current Favourites list.

Left click the Favourites (star icon) to see the full 'list'.

This assumes you've created various Favourites sub-folders for different types of website (music, countries, pubs, eating, computers, jobs etc, etc - whatever your interests are)

zeppman 17:23 12 Jun 2009

This Is what I have done In the past but after reinstalling IE8 I have put the saved Favs in the folder but ended up with the old list as part of the new one(A favourites list within the new one)

Clapton is God 17:28 12 Jun 2009

I think there's some misunderstanding as to what you intend to do.

In your first post you say "I am going to format", from which I assumed you are going to format (i.e. completely wipe the HDD). This will delete everything on your PC.

In your last post you say "after reinstalling IE8" - which is a completely different thing.

If you are simply reinstalling IE, there's no need to touch your favourites because they don't sit within IE, they sit at the location I've already given you.

zeppman 17:46 12 Jun 2009

Sorry for confusing the issue.I am formatting and in the past I have saved the Favs onto a memory stick.The problem Is when I reinstall them I end up with the old list as part of the new one instead of one list with all Favs in it.

Clapton is God 17:51 12 Jun 2009

Yes, I see - but surely if you previously formatted the HDD you literally wiped everything including Favourites.

Thus, I fail to understand how when copying your Favourites back from the memory stick they were duplicated.

Might it not be a good idea to look on the PC after reformatting to see if your Favourites are, somehow, already there before copying from the memory stick??!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?