Saving favorites and e-mail's

ray27 18:54 28 May 2003

As I am having a new hard drive fitted is there any way that you can save your favorites to floppy or cd? I have managed to save almost everything that is important but would like to keep my e-mails but the option to export e-mails says it will only save them to outlook express or microsoft outlook.
How can I save these to disk or cd?
Many thanks to all for the past help
Ray

woodchip 19:05 28 May 2003

If you are Win98 and I think ME go to Windows Explorer, Click the Windows folder + sign to expand the folder, click on Application Data +sign
Save the Identities folder that is your E-Mail in there. In Windows folder lower down you will see the favourites folder save that also you will have to save these to CD

ray27 19:18 28 May 2003

Sorry I forgot to tell you what OS I have its Windows xp home is it the same way?.
can you make the instructions so that an idiot can understand them because that is what a Iam when it comes to these things
cheers Ray

woodchip 19:26 28 May 2003

Go to find files and type *.DBX see if it shows your inbox etc if it does you can save all to CD, Create a folder to put them in. You can also type favourites it should also find that folder save to CD

Dave Bowman 19:38 28 May 2003
  ray27 21:52 28 May 2003

Thanks Woodchip
I tried both of your tips *.dbx dosnt bring up anything and favorites brings up a couple of folders but when you open them they appear empty
maybe I am doing something wrong?

GroupFC 22:24 28 May 2003

You might have you to tick "search hidden files and folders" under more advanced options to find the .dbx files

GroupFC 22:32 28 May 2003

In IE you could go to file>import and export which then launches a wizard. you could then export your favourites to another location and then save that to CD.

Hope these help, but post back if you need any more guidance.

Roadgiant 23:13 28 May 2003

I have just reformatted my sons's pc and found a trial version of a program on this site :-
click here
It copied everything in outlook express to a file which I then backed up to Cd.
Formatted pc and then downloadesd program again and outlook express is now back exactly as it was pre format.

Patr100 23:39 28 May 2003

Both IE and Outlook Express have a File /import /export option.

ray27 09:28 29 May 2003

Thnks for all your tips
I tried the tips supplied by Groupfc and Patr100 and managed to copy my favorites folders to cd .
I found it quite easy thanks to you .It has tought me to look at things a bit more carefully in future as it was staring me in the face.
I wont bother with the e-mails I have just printed the important one.
Many thanks to everyone (what I woud do without this foroum I shudder to think)
RAY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017