Saving emails

******** 15:30 30 Aug 2005

Is there a neat and simple way to back-up my emails? I send and receive huge quantities through MSOutlook and save them in the directories, but can not find a way to SIMPLY save them to disk.

BigMoFoT 15:33 30 Aug 2005

them to a personal folder file. Goto the file menu, choose import/export. Export to a file and choose personal foldere file .pst.

For example back up by month and if you ever need to refer back to a particaulr month import the relevant pst file which will show up in your outlook profile.

Audeal 15:37 30 Aug 2005

Try this Handy Backup. It does more than just e-mails.

click here

Jackcoms 15:38 30 Aug 2005

Install the Outlook back-up tool click here
and back them up to an external medium (USB pen drive, CD, etc).

BigMoFoT 15:40 30 Aug 2005

Export to a .pst file you can just as easi;y drag and drop on to a pendrive for example or burn to disk.

******** 16:48 30 Aug 2005

some really excellent advice, thank you. I have now saved the emial files to disk, but before I delete the originals from Outlook, I want to check that I can re-open what I have saved and check that it formats back into Outlook ok.

I have tried it, but I get a notice that outlook can not open the file, because it is either in use or I don't have permission etc.

How do I check that it has worked?

BigMoFoT 17:02 30 Aug 2005

have you backed them up?

******** 17:20 30 Aug 2005

Saved as a .pst file, as you suggested. Of course, I have yet to delete the emails in Outlook, so the saved data is a duplicate.

******** 17:23 30 Aug 2005

I have tried to open it straight from the disk, but access denied. I have tried import in Outlook and again, I don't have permission.

******** 17:23 30 Aug 2005

I have tried to open it straight from the disk, but access denied. I have tried import in Outlook and again, I don't have permission.

octal 17:31 30 Aug 2005

The way I save any important email at work is to open the email and go to File then Save as.... and save them as either an RTF or a Word doc file, it save messing around importing them when you just want to refer to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?