saving to CD-RW

BJ 20:59 20 Jan 2005

"Everybody" says CD's are better than floppies but as a first time owner of a PC that records on to CD I am not seeing the advantage apart from they hold more.With my floppy I could save my letters with File - Save(or Save As)title and Save. Done! I could update as I go along, using the floppy icon; I could delete all,or any part I wanted - it was all so easy. Now with the CD drive I have to go to programmes, select Ahead Nero then Nero Express, Data and Data Disk, Add, Next find my letter and so on & on - it takes ages.A floppy takes seconds.I know I am not the brightest of pensioners but have I missed the shortcut to saving on CD or are old fashioned floppies really a lot easier?
Bj

inneedofhelp 21:07 20 Jan 2005

once ure file is saved, what ever format it may be, right click and and send it to your cd drive, or drag and drop it.

Once you've done that, enter your cd drive and theres an option to write files to disk, hit ok and ure away.using a 3rd party software isnt needed

GaT7 21:13 20 Jan 2005

Floppies are more prone to losing data than CDs. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:56 20 Jan 2005

What op system?

Xp has its own CD writing sofware that allows you to use the CDRW the same as another hard drive or floppy drive.

BJ 19:22 22 Jan 2005

Thank you all for offering your advice.Although using inneedofhelp advice is a lot easier that what I was trying to do before I still think it would be easier if I could save, update as I proceed, partially delete etc as I do with my letters now on floppy. The CD system is good but it lost some of the speed and simplicity of floppy.
I would like to apologise for sending emails directly to two of you. I suspected it was a breach of etiquette but I wasn't sure how to send my thanks. I will not do it again.
I appreciate everyones help.
BJ

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017