Saving a BBC video clip to hard disk

jz 10:56 08 Sep 2007

Is it possible to save a video clip such as the one on this page click here on my hard disk?

I tried right-clicking it in Firefox and choosing "Save Link As" but this saves a text file, not the video clip.

If I click on the link, it loads RealPlayer which runs the video clip, but as far as I can tell, I cannot save it from RealPlayer.

howard64 11:25 08 Sep 2007

it may be that the bbc do not allow you to save the clip? I suppose it is possible to get a prog to record a playing clip such as audacity for sound but I do not know of one for video recording

brundle 11:29 08 Sep 2007

Get & install Flashget (click here), click on "Watch this video", right-click on "Watch in stand alone Realplayer" and select Copy Shortcut, paste that into Flashget. If you only get a small .ram file, open that with a text editor, copy the .ra link and then paste that into Flashget.

muddypaws 11:40 08 Sep 2007

Provided you don't want top quality I have in the past, and just tried again, used my webcam.
Once you have positioned it properly just select 'record video'.
Picks up the sound OK from the speakers. Also any external sound obviously-- so don't talk!!
Don't forget to close the cam window and bring up the BBC screen!!
My cam is 4 years old and the result is Ok for watching on the PC once the original is gone.

DJ-Garry 12:12 08 Sep 2007

Use a program called ScreenCorder.
I got it from TUCOWS I think.
It records ALL sound and vision from your PC and you can direct it to just record the video window. Saves it to an .AVI file then you can do what you like with it, even burn it to DVD using NERO or something

Minkey1 14:50 08 Sep 2007

For audio, I use Replay. Their video alternative is here click here

jz 21:36 08 Sep 2007

No joy so far. Any other ideas?

rdave13 21:43 08 Sep 2007

Try downloading the free version of real player. It includes the ability to download videos to hard disk.
To convert to other formats is another story..
click here

rdave13 21:45 08 Sep 2007

First uninstall original real player then reboot.

brundle 01:53 09 Sep 2007

My method is tried and tested and you get the original file,not a re-recorded or transcoded version. You can't save rtsp files with any built-in Windows method.

2neat 07:18 09 Sep 2007

Your lucky. I get this message.
"This content is currently
available to UK residents who have a broadband
connection with one of the following providers:

AOL, Blueyonder, BT Broadband, BT Openworld, DialStart, Eclipse, FairADSL,
Force9, Free-Online, Freeserve, Freenetname, Global Internet, IDnet, Mailbox,
Manx Telecom, Jersey Telecom, Nildram, ntl, One.Tel, Pipex, PlusNet, Tiscali, Zen Internet

The BBC intends to expand this list to include as many UK
broadband service providers as possible. Please check
availability with your broadband service provider.
More information about broadband services can be
found on click here"
I am with Sky!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017