Saved on floppies-how to move to new computer

MagsD 17:16 12 May 2005

I have purchased a new computer - still to be delivered. My old computer is running Windows ME and most of my things are saved on floppy discs. As my new computer does not have a floppy drive, how can I transfer my floppy info over. I thought of using a pen type storage "thingy" but old computer is USB1 and new is USB2 - as is pen storage (Not bought this yet) If this is not possible, what are suggestions. Still keeping old computer to use so cant remove any parts from it.

Colinp 17:27 12 May 2005

Resave onto CD, or if no cd writer, find a friend who does have a floppy drive and a CD writer.

pj123 17:36 12 May 2005

Not seen a computer without a floppy disk drive yet. Is this a desktop or laptop. If a desktop I would assume that there is still a space to install a floppy. So why not take the floppy out of your old PC and install into the new one.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:45 12 May 2005

USB1 and USB2 happily co-exist.

G

paddy75 17:49 12 May 2005

MagsD,Your best bet is as you mention is to buy a usb pen drive and connect to your old computer and transfer your floppies over to it.The pen drive will most likley be usb 2 but i would'nt worry about that as they are backwards compatible with usb 1.More and more new computers are starting to be made without a floppy drive installed,if you really wanted a new floppy drive you could pick one up for about a tenner in PC World. Paddy

Graham ® 18:00 12 May 2005

Or you could connect the old and new comps with a cable and forget the floppies.

bof:) 18:11 12 May 2005

Hi All,
or buy an external flopy disk drive. If you intend to keep using floopy disks.

Mike

Total Care Support 18:27 12 May 2005

Hi MagsD,

A USB pen drive is an excellent idea. A USB 2.0 pen drive is backward compatible with USB 1.1 host controller (as is a USB 1.1 pen drive with a USB 2.0 controller) so will work on both of your PC. You will certainly notice the difference in the time taken to upload the data from the old computer using the slower USB 1.1, and then copping on to the new machine.

Best regards,

Jon.

MagsD 18:27 12 May 2005

Thanks again for all your help.Where would we be without this forum. I am not bothered about not having a floppy drive and as the pen drive holds a lot more, I will probably just use this to save onto. I just wasn't sure if it would be compatible with my "old"(only 4 1/2 Years)computer.Doesn't technology move very quickly.
Once new computer is installed (One week today) I will probably be back with lots more questions.

SEASHANTY 20:09 12 May 2005

Medion PC's sold by Aldi have not had floppy drives installed in them for the past year or so. This applies to the last three desktop models sold by them. I use the USB pen drive now to transfer data between the two with floppies and the one without.
Sony also make an external floppy drive which works ffrom a usb socket. It was around £25. Far easier to use a usb pen drive tho. They are also becoming much cheaper so it seems as if the floppy drive has had its day.

Ancient Learner 20:21 12 May 2005

Floppy Drives have had their day! Recovery disks for Partition Magic and Ghost are on Floppies. The only way I can use Ghost images created on Ghost 2002/3 is by accessing using Floppies. The new Ghost images don't need floppies however. In desperate circumstances, a floppy disk drive could be the only way to get the PC to show any life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?