save windows vista activation key

alpalok 06:43 26 Aug 2008

just as there you can copy wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files in %systemroot%\system32 in win XP and save it for reinstall later, so you don't have to activate windows again. Is there a similar feature in vista ? I have a legitimate copy of vsta ultimate and i am planning to format my hdd to remove 2 viruses that NAV 2008 has failed to remove. As microsoft allows only 4 activations, i would not like to waste my activation on 2 viruses. so after formatting if i could copy these files back, i would be grateful.

Thanks

Dr Alok Modi MD

sinbads 08:02 26 Aug 2008

You can reformat as many times as you like.

Vista will not require a system re-activation unless the hard drive and one other component is changed. This means that enthusiasts will be able to swap CPUs, memory and graphics cards out without any worry about having to re-activate with MS, either on the internet or by phone.

Should you change the hard drive and another piece of hardware - for example for a major upgrade such as a motherboard change that requires a re-installation - Microsoft will allow you to re-activate up to 10 times. You will not, however, be able to have more than one machine activated concurrently.

alpalok 14:44 26 Aug 2008

thanks
Sinbad its been very helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone