Save 10% on electricity bills?

bumpkin 21:14 30 Jun 2010

Hello all, I have seen a gadget advertised for around £30.00 that they claim will cut 10% off
my electricity bill. It is just a small box that you plug into any socket. Seen it in the national press and now being sent Emails urging me to buy one.
Has anyone else seen this and if so can you explain
how this works or if it does at all.
If it seems to be too good to be true it usually is.
Any comments or advice on this one please.

ray

MAT ALAN 21:19 30 Jun 2010

click here

spoilt for choice here...

Sea Urchin 21:26 30 Jun 2010

If you get your power from a certain supply company they will give you a monitor free

bumpkin 21:59 30 Jun 2010

Hi again, this is not an energy monitor that I am referring to, or energy saving bulbs etc.
I wish I could give you a link but I can`t.
It is advertised in Daily Mail and I was emailed by
GIZOO, the device is called "ENERGY WIZARD" made by a company called ECOTEK I think. It is a small box
like a phone charger that you plug into any spare socket and it will cut your bill by up to 10%.
Sounds like a load of B------s to me but if anyone
knows otherwise I would love to know how this thing
can possibly work.

Falkyrn 22:05 30 Jun 2010

You can see this gadget at click here

It claims quote ......

"It uses a combination of filtration and correction techniques to improve the efficiency of your appliances and circuits. " ......

I think it belongs in the same category as the chinese double glazed table on an earlier thread.

bumpkin 22:10 30 Jun 2010

Yes, that`s the thing.
chinese double glazed table?

Falkyrn 22:29 30 Jun 2010

Purely a personal opinion

See Speakers corner section of these forums

click here

bumpkin 22:47 30 Jun 2010

Falkyrn, amusing link but I don`t believe in magic-)
electronic skullduggery maybe but does anyone believe this thing works?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 30 Jun 2010

"Power factor correction" is what they are on about to save money b making your devices more efficient.

But you need very large capacitors to do that and that little gadget is unlikely to make any difference except yo make your wallet £30 lighter.

ashdav 23:47 30 Jun 2010

Bit of a waste of time really as power factor is not monitored in UK domestic installations.
It is in 3 ph commercial supplies however where there are likely to be large numbers of fluorescent lights and induction motors.

ashdav 23:54 30 Jun 2010

I had dealings with a company developing something similar to this over 20 years ago but it was designed to replace a 13A plug on a specific appliance.
It was primarily meant for fridges and freezers and did indeed use power factor correction but by using solid state switching devices rather than large capacitors.
The company was called Savawatt and were based in the W. Midlands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone