Satnav without cigarette lighter connection

kimtrnc 15:21 29 Sep 2010

Desperate to have a satnav as I keep losing my way. Problem is, my car does not have a cigarette lighter point. Is there a way round this, short of taking the whole car expensively apart. I know I can charge it at home, but I understand 4 hours is about the maximum I can hope for - ie 2 hours out and 2 hours back. Any ideas, guys?

birdface 15:28 29 Sep 2010

Not sure if you can run a cable from the fuse holder I know you can direct from the battery.
But better waiting for someone that knows.

This gadget will supply 12v via a cig lighter socket, a very portable source of power (and it will also start your car IF you have a cig lghter socket, lol) I use one to run a 12v Car Vacuum cleaner.

click here^560105,navlist^553821*560105*512699*830876*,cm_scid^dtlr

Well that didn't work!

QVC Price
£33.32

Item Number

Availability
In stock

UK P&P
£5.45

It is called the Cosmic Hand Held Car Starter.

six-h 15:40 29 Sep 2010

I think kimtrnc would call it useless, 'cos he doesn't have a ciggy lighter socket!

THIS is an alternative BECAUSE he has none!

I should have been a bit more specific "This gadget will supply 12v via its OWN BUILT IN cig lighter socket"

birdface 15:57 29 Sep 2010
  birdface 16:02 29 Sep 2010

A lot cheaper and you only have to connect it to the circuitry some where
wclick here.

Take the plug off and connect the wires.

birdface 16:02 29 Sep 2010
  six-h 16:03 29 Sep 2010

undyer, sorry since the link didn't work, I saw your mention of a ciggy lighter socket and presumed that it was a standard car inverter unit you were describing.
For my money, I would just have a poke about under the dash, there are sometimes spare fused power leads available intended for Radios or other accessories.
You just need one that is preferably isolated when the ignition is switched off.
I've always been wary of using the ciggy lighter socket, though it is handy, you should bear in mind that it is generally fused at 30 amps, and in most cases, not isolated when the ignition is off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?