Satellite dish for freesat

cruiser2 18:30 17 Aug 2010

Which is a good dish for the free Freesat TV channels? I know I will have to have this fitted by an aerial company but any advice appreciated.

mobileman1953 18:37 17 Aug 2010

sorry dont know i use my sky dish now i have cancelled sky subscription

woodchip 18:51 17 Aug 2010

You can use a Sky dish, and it does not have to be fitted by satellite company, You can fit it yourself if you are into DIY you need the correct LNB that goes on the end of the harm for Freesat. You can also buy a Sat Finder from Maplins.#

PS there are two Freesat's one that is SKY but this name is only under license. Other Freesat is run by BBC ITV merger who own the Freesat License

muddypaws 20:27 17 Aug 2010

Handy forum here click here

muddypaws 20:42 17 Aug 2010

..and you can get dishes and quad lnbs from ebay.
click here
where I bought mine and installed 3 years ago.
If you are in northern England a larger one is recommended.
If you are planning on getting a freesat tuner with recorder (PVR) you need two cable feeds which will use two of the 4 lnbs.
That will leave two connectors available for other TVs. One each just to view or the two for another PVR.
But my link to the forums above will give you all the help you require.

Graham. 00:34 18 Aug 2010

The dish does not need to be high up, it can be in your garden if it has a clear view of the sky. See for bearings click here

Look at your neighbour's dishes to see where they're pointing.

Graham. 00:43 18 Aug 2010

Also see click here

LastChip 02:09 18 Aug 2010

It's not at all difficult. There's plenty of advice and tutorials all over the Internet.

It didn't make sense to pay £150 fee for fitting, when you can pick up a satellite signal strength meter for about a tenner on ebay.

I got a lot of my stuff from click here Very satisfied with quality, price, delivery and even advice if you want it.

It really has transformed my reception though. I've gone from snowy, lousy reception to top quality HD. Personally, I'm delighted with it.

Simsy 08:37 18 Aug 2010

click here

The site has loads of good and useful information,including explaining dish sizes etc.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

cruiser2 13:32 18 Aug 2010

Thank you all for your help and information.
As I am a silver surfer, my wife won't let me climb ladders any more. So I will probably have to get a contractor to install it and set it up.
I will tick this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone