Satellite broadband in Europe

Bald Eagle 21:08 11 Jan 2004

What do you think of this offer?

click here

I don't play games, I believe the uploading speed is slow on satellite systems and this is a drawback for games players. A € is around 74p. Do these companies come and go?

matt1234 21:14 11 Jan 2004

i still say stick to adsl as it is alot quicker and is easier i hav a friend who has satellite and acording to him u have to have planning permision for the dish and he taks up the phone line and has a big dish out side!

waste of time if u ask me!

Newuser2193 17:11 06 Mar 2004

Ehotspot (click here) offer a satellite broadband at 2 Mb download and 500 Kb upload. They make use of the Aramiska satellite system (click here). You only need a small aerial on your roof which receives the signal from a central node transmitter.

I myself have had the service for a week and after initial teething troubles it seems fine. I have not achieved the speeds quoted but I have achieved download speeds which are around 16 times faster than with my dial-up modem. I know gaming is a problem due the satellite's latency, and peer to peer software doesn't work properly on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?