SATA v IDE?

Wickers 20:23 31 Mar 2008

Is it a reasonable to say that SATA drives are better than IDE drives?

If so, would I lose any performance by partioning a SATA drive into 3, with, say 70 gb on each partition?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 31 Mar 2008

Yes

No but there really is no need to partition nowadays, unless to make backing up of certain data easier.

woodchip 20:31 31 Mar 2008

Sata is slightly faster than IDE, but can be a lot more problematic. AS you need drivers etc

woodchip 20:32 31 Mar 2008

Sata is slightly faster than IDE, but can be a lot more problematic. AS you need drivers etc.

I always Partition. It's up to you but I think it's better

DieSse 20:44 31 Mar 2008

"Is it a reasonable to say that SATA drives are better than IDE drives?"

I wouldn't really have said so - but SATA is the newer standard - so if you're buying a new drive, and can utilise either, the SATA is probably the way to go.

Why do you ask - there might be other considerations.

"If so, would I lose any performance by partioning a SATA drive into 3, with, say 70 gb on each partition?"

Partitioning a drive only affects performance very very slightly. And it might improve or degrade it, depending on circumstances. It's not an issue you need consider.

Whether you partition or not depends on your view of whether it's useful. Opinions vary.

My drive is partitioned - but not for windows operations reasons. I use one partition for all my WinXP operations - another for large downloads and media files, and another reserved for Linux.

DieSse 20:48 31 Mar 2008

"Partitioning a drive only affects performance very very slightly."

For instance, received wisdom says that putting the paging file on a separate partition prevents it from becoming fragmented, which speeds up paging operations.

But to reach a separate partition, the heads will have to move further to get at the page file - this will slow down paging operations.

Result - anybody's guess.

Wickers 20:59 31 Mar 2008

Thanks so far!

I'm re-building my PC and would like to get better performance for running FlightSim & TrainSim.

At present I have them on seperate removable caddies
but the cost of replacing each with SATA is prohibitive.

Also, is the 10,000 rpm better than the 7,500 prm?

The price of these drives can be frightening!

DieSse 21:03 31 Mar 2008

For what you want, I don't think your drives are an issue. Not only are 10K drives expensive, they get very warm too.

I would be looking at fast processor, lots of RAM and top class graphics cards well before changing drives.

Whilst SATA drives do have a faster peak transfer rate, the sustained rates of the drives themselves are much lower than the interface transfer rates - and I doubt the Sims you mention would have drive transfer rates as a bottleneck anyway.

Wickers 21:14 31 Mar 2008

Thanks DieSse

I have Asus EN9600GT card

Asus P5N-D board

Intel E6750 processor

2 gb memory

All in mind to buy

Any good?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?