sata to raid

alltime 16:15 12 Jun 2005

Im confused over this sata to raid business. Im running win xp home with one sata hard drive and i want to put another sata hard drive in and convert to raid if this is the right context. Is there a big advantage running two hard drives in the raid configuration? Could anyone explain this confusion please.

Klof Ron 16:28 12 Jun 2005

SATA Raid 0, your combined hard drives are seen as one large hard drive in windows

SATA Raid 1 your hard drives are seen as two seperate hard drives.

bremner 16:31 12 Jun 2005

You would be able to have Raid0 or Raid1. Assuming you had 160GB drives:

Raid0 is called stripping. The data is saved in blocks to one drive at a time. This results in quicker performance but if one drive fails you have lost all your data. You would have 320GB of storage.

Raid1 is called mirroring. The data is saved to each disk. If one disk fails you have the data on the other. You would have 160GB of storage.

alltime 16:44 12 Jun 2005

Hi Guys, thanks for the speedy response. So reading the info then if i add an extra 160gb sata hd to the existing and configure it to raid 0 it will run faster (How much faster) and recognise it as one drive, but could loose all the data if one of the disks goes down. But it i add the same 160gb disk and run raid 1 it will configure it as two separate drives, and if one disk goes down i suppose you can restore from the other. But does this affect the speed, and how would i configure them.

bremner 16:46 12 Jun 2005

There is no need to restore - disk one is an exact replica of disk 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?