SATA & PATA?

jon_argent 22:43 30 Aug 2007

I've just got a new PC with a SATA drive as its main disc. However, i want to put my other HD in, for the extra storage, but its a PATA drive. Will they work together, and is there anything special I need to do?

holme 22:54 30 Aug 2007

The machine I'm presently using has 1xSATA and 1xIDE drives working together a treat and they come up as drives C: and D: respectively.

The IDE drive is the only device on the primary IDE socket so, without disconnecting everything to check, I presume its links will be set to be the Master device, not Slave.

I didn't do the insllation but, as far as initialising the second drive is concerned, I think that'll be the standard procedure.

HTH but, if not, let us know and we'll have a look at it in more detail.

jon_argent 23:00 30 Aug 2007

Thanks for that. Just about to power down to install, wish me luck....

jon_argent 01:15 31 Aug 2007

It works fine (After momentary panic, forgetting how to change the boot list:D )

holme 09:15 31 Aug 2007

Goody! For the record, I checked the IDE drive immediately after power-down last night and it /is/ linked to be the master drive on the Primary socket.

The reason I said "immediately" is that, as it had been running for 18 continuous hours, I was very pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't particularly hot (7500rpm). That speaks well for the drive and/or the cooling system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017