SATA not detected

kjrider 15:58 05 Aug 2008

Decided to add an extra drive Mator DiamondMax 21 320Gb SATA.

When I get to the Via Tech VT8237 SATA raid bios, I can see the drive listed, but none of the bios is 'highlighted' so I cannot access it.

Have tried changing and removing the jumber on the SATA drive, but it doesn't show in bios, and cannot see iot in windows disc management.

I am using a Optronix MB, AMD 3500 with 2Gb ram running Win XP 64. It has 150Mbs raid data rate.

Any ideas please?

KJR

Ditch999 16:19 05 Aug 2008

If you are adding a single hard drive then you cannot enable RAID. Disable it in the BIOS and just have SATA enabled as BASE or similar

rupie 17:03 05 Aug 2008

I would guess that you need to add a pair of identical drives to the system, if you have a raid set up ?

kjrider 11:47 07 Aug 2008

Well, it looks like I will have to get another SATA drive the same to put in.

However, one strange quirk, when I changed the HD and put in the plug in HD caddy with Vista on, it can see the SATA drive in computer management, and I can make use of it.

My idea was to have it as a storage drive for docs and photos, etc, that would be accessible by different OS systems.

So, does anyone know of a tweak or summat to make XP Pro see my SATA drive?

KJR.

Ditch999 14:19 07 Aug 2008

Have you loaded the SATA drivers for XP x64?

kjrider 10:04 18 Aug 2008

Just to mention that I went to click here, to download a driver there for the VT8237.

Now all works fine.

KJR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?