sata motherboard connectors

jamesd1981 23:21 02 Nov 2009

i was trying to add a dvd drive to my pca but having trouble with connections on the motherboard my pc is sata setup on motherboard i have six sata sockets 4 are coloured orange and have cables going to hdrive dvd drive psu and card reader the other two are empty and are coloured purple could anyone tell me what these other two empty purple sata sockets are for im guessing slaves but not sure.

gigagiggles 01:04 03 Nov 2009

hello.

common practice among motherboard makers is to color-code the external sata ports they provide. there will also be a 3rd party sata driver install file along with an e-sata ports slot to put in the back.

the e-sata ports were finicky to set up for me. they lie empty and useless. can't wait for the 10 sata ported motherboards. :-)

I am Spartacus 09:12 03 Nov 2009

The orange ports are probably 'master' for Boot drives, the purple ones 'slave' for data drives.

bjh 09:44 03 Nov 2009

What is the motherboard make/model? Then we can answer the question. I'm with both of the above at the moment - a wild guess - but I'd also suggest some might be SATA 1, some SATA 2...

Make/model, please!

jamesd1981 20:09 04 Nov 2009

thanks for all the replies folks i found out what they were for the orange ones are just ordinary sata connections but the purple ones can be used as ordinary sata i.e. for connecting say a blu ray player etc but are designed to be used with raid so you can mirror two hard drives. thanks again to all that replied.

ambra4 03:16 05 Nov 2009

Tick the box and click resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?