SATA II Mirror RAID & New Motherboard

tcl 19:48 11 Dec 2006

Had a Mirror RAID setup on a ECS PF21 Extreme motherboard that died on me. Have replaced mother bpard with an MSI Platinum that has Intel ICH8R Satat Raid. Windows XP will not boot understandably as drivers probably do not work for this raid setup. My question is, can I see the data using UBUNTU or another Linux distro that loads from CD so that I can check to see what data I have and whether I want to unload it.
I have also bought a PCI SATA II contoller card - nots ure of chip set on that. Can I install that in my other machine running XP and attach one of the mirrored drives and look at the data that way ?? Is there a good site that gives a thorough explanation of RAID and chipsets etc

skidzy 21:50 11 Dec 2006

I have absolutely no idea of your setup,but as no one else has posted i will bump you up the helproom.

Maybe these can help

click here
click here

click here
click here
click here

Hope they shine some light for you....they dont for me :-))

UncleP 02:39 12 Dec 2006

I suspect that the reason you've had few replies is your concern over the RAID1 aspects of your system. But since each disk contains a complete and identical copy of the old OS, your applications and their data files, and all you want to do is recover the latter, it makes no difference whether it was RAID or not.

The simplest solution in my view would be to mount one of the HDs in another computer as a slave and copy the files off in the normal way. As long as the disk was not corrupted when the motherboard failed, there should be no problem.

Replacing the motherboard without re-installing the OS is, from what I've read, a very 'iffy' business in any system, RAID or not. The best chance of it working is obtained with a new board as close as possible to the old - same chipsets etc. If is doesn't, then you wipe the HDs and re-install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?