SATA + IDE OK, but Extra IDE Drive stops system

dekles 21:21 06 Mar 2006

Hi all, I have a system running on an Asus A7S8X-MX mob, with Sempron 1.7GHz proc. and 512MB Ram. I installed XP +SP2 on the system, with a 40GB Barracuda drive on IDE channel 1, in Master position (Cable Select) and a 250GB SATA Maxtor drive on connector 1 (Master) I have two DVD ReWriters on IDE channel 2.
System has been running for months without any probs. I tried to add a second IDE drive (120GB Barracuda) in slave position on IDE I channel, but, although correctly recognised by BIOS, when I start computer, it simply won't run. Message says cannot find a file. If I remove second IDE disk, system starts as normal. Any ideas out there, please?

007al 21:45 06 Mar 2006

Check you have the 40GB set to boot first in boot sequence in BIOS

Eric10 21:52 06 Mar 2006

I agree with 007al. I have a different ASUS motherboard and you can select which Hard Drive is the first and second. Mine is under 'Boot, Hard Disk Drives'.

dekles 21:57 06 Mar 2006

The boot sequence is, as you rightly say, under Boot, Hard Disk Drives, and shows first disk in sequence is 'C' on IDE master, and second drive in sequence is SATA Master. (If I change these round, system doesn't boot at all) When I add the slave drive, system doen't boot again.

Eric10 22:01 06 Mar 2006

Have you checked the boot sequence with the second IDE drive fitted?

dekles 22:46 06 Mar 2006

Thanks Eric, I have just tried checking that point just now. Boot sequence is correct, with IDE slave showing as 3rd drive in boot sequence. Btw, the message which comes up when I try to start with the slave IDE drive fitted says that windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt: then it says that it is <windows root> system32/hal.dll and that I should re-install this file.
When I disconnect the slave IDE drive, the system boots normally

dekles 22:54 06 Mar 2006

The windows/system32 folder does contain the file in question, hal.dll

Eric10 10:53 07 Mar 2006

If you type hal.dll into Google you will find lots of articles. Many of them seem to focus on the Boot.ini file but I am reluctant to recommend any particular one as this is a key file to starting Windows. You could end up not being able to boot even without the second IDE drive if you make a mistake here.
If you can make an image of your C: drive using something like Acronis or Ghost then this would give you a way back if it all went pear-shaped.
Another thought is, does your second IDE drive already has data on it or is it brand new and unpartitioned? If it already has data or an operating system on it then this may be contributing to the problem.

dekles 13:15 07 Mar 2006

Thanks Eric, I will try what you suggest. Second IDE drive is brand new. One point I should mention, because you are suggesting that I make an image of my C Drive is, ALL MY SYSTEM FILES are on the SATA Master Drive(D) in MyComputer. There are but avery few system files on C Drive.
This is the way the XP system installed itself, and it boots like this without any problems at all.

Eric10 15:07 07 Mar 2006

I should have said to back up your boot drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone