sata, ide & jumpers

Stroller 21:13 17 Sep 2005

Following my recent post I have puchased a Maxtor 160 Gig Sata drive.

I want to use the Sata in conjunction with the existing IDE drives, but what about Jumpers?

I know that the Sata does not require jumpers, but the IDE?

What should the IDE jumpers be set =

A) IDE as Master?

B) Sata as Master?

C) IDE #1 as master, #2 IDE & Sata as slaves?

D) Sata as Master, IDE #1 & #2 as slaves?

or am I hoping for too much?

Advice gratefully received,

Stroller

GaT7 21:23 17 Sep 2005

Are you going to make the SATA drive your main/boot drive, or is it going to be used for backups & storage? G

GaT7 21:30 17 Sep 2005

BTW, there's no master/slave issues with SATA drives. Also, SATA drives connect to the motherboard via their own connectors/cables that are independent of IDE drives.

Your motherboard has SATA connectors, does it not? G

Stroller 21:52 17 Sep 2005

At this time I am intending to use Sata as storage, (D;E;F;G) with the current 80 gig IDE as C drive.

As funds become available another Sata will be used as backup.

The Mobo (Asrock K7VT4A pro) supports two Sata drives.

Stroller

Gooseballer 23:36 17 Sep 2005

Try in bios changing the boot sequence so that it boots from your ide drive first.

Stroller 00:35 18 Sep 2005

Thanks, will do that in the morning, no, looked at clock, will re-phrase that, do it later on today.

Cheers,

Stroller

GaT7 01:29 18 Sep 2005

Shutdown your PC, install the SATA drive in the case & connect the data & power cables. You can connect the data cable to either Sata0 or Sata1 (Sata0 is usually the 'primary' channel).

Reboot your PC (depending on how your motherboard recognises a newly-connected SATA drive, you may or may not have to configure the BIOS &/or install SATA drivers. As you already have a booting IDE drive & non-formatted SATA one, there's no need to change anything in the BIOS, as Gooseballer mentions - he/she may have misread your post).

Once in Windows (assuming it's WinXP), right-click My Computer & select Manage, then click on Disk Management. The SATA drive should show up there. Right-click the drive & choose 'Initalize Disk'. Next, you should be able to partition+format it from there, by right-clicking, selecting 'New Partition' & following the wizard.

If, in Windows, the SATA drive is NOT showing up in Disk Management or Device Manager please post back. It may be time to install the SATA drivers. G

PS - This is a good guide click here - SATA drive installation is mentioned later on (see Page Index at the bottom).

Other useful links:

SATA driver download, if required click here (don't install SATA drivers for Floppy Disk - this is only if you're doing a fresh install of the OS on the SATA drive).

Asrock K7VT4A Pro mobo PDF manual click here.

Stroller 08:57 18 Sep 2005

Well, installed the disk physically,

boot up sees it, device manager sees it, Disk manager sees it.

'My computer' does not see it.

I want to partition and format, but it will only allow me to format as NTFS, but the other drives are Fat 32.

Will I have to convert all drives to NTFS, and if so will I lose any data?

Stroller

Stroller 15:49 18 Sep 2005

Sorted (for now), except that the boot up screen gives me options to choose which drive to boot from. I do not know what I did to casue taht to happen, but it is something I can live with.

thanks to all for their help and advice,

Stroller

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?