SATA HDD - problem after changing computer

fantazjusz 06:59 05 Oct 2006

Hello everyone

I have a serious problem with my SATA drive.
Yesterday I changed almost everyhting in my comp: motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphic card. I only kept my 2 HDDs, one IDE 40GB FAT32 (on which I have system) and one SATA 250GB NTFS (with precious data). They were both working fine on my previous config, they were both partitioned as disks ( C: ) and ( D: ) respectively.

After changing so many parts I was prepared to re-install WinXP. Yet, it turned out that it wasn't necessary - the old system booted successfully from my IDE drive, there was only lot of messing around with uninstalling old drivers and installing new ones.

Now - the same WinXp doesn't recognize my SATA 250GB. I know the HDD works and is correctly connected, because BIOS shows its status, numbers and capacity, even Windows Hardware Manager shows that it is present, conneted, working with no conflicts and with all latest drivers. Yet, I cannot access any data on that SATA drive - it's just not present in My Computer.

I ran Partition Magic to see what the program can see.
And that's what I found there:

250GB SATA:
DISK1 - Partition: Local Disk ( *: ), Type: Dynamic Disk, Status: None, Pri/Log: Primary

40GB IDE:
DISK2 - Partition: SYSTEM ( C: ), Type: FAT32, Status: Active, Pri/Log: Primary

Where's the problem? Why the IDE drive is recognized and the SATA isn't?

I hope I can save all the data on the SATA one... someone suggested that I should make a partition out of the SATA disk first first, but it was already a partition on my old config so I don't think that's the case...

I'll appreciate any help :)

Zeppelyn 08:30 05 Oct 2006

Looks to me that XP has not allocated a drive letter tothe SATA. From start, right click My Computer and then select Manage. Then click on Disk Management and both drives should be shown. Right Click on the SATA and select Change Drive Letter and Paths to allocate the drive letter.

I know Partition Magic can also do this but ages since I used it.

Grantrh 08:31 05 Oct 2006

You could try going to the motherboard manufacturers website and seeing if there are any newer sata drivers and if there are, trying those.

fantazjusz 08:48 05 Oct 2006

the disk management console shows all the disks that I have, but the SATA disk is displayed as "unreadable". I cannot assign a drive letter to it, the only thing I can do with it is change it from dynamic to basic disk. But that would mean data deletion, so I'd like to try something else.
Any other suggestions? Maybe I should uninstall and disconnect the disc completely and then install it anew?

xania 08:55 05 Oct 2006

I'm very uncomfortable about the fact that you have not re-installed XP from scratch. Yes, I understand that your old installation seems to have worked, but you've already found one flaw - how many others will come out of the woodwork at a lest comfortable time. I suggest you re-format you C: drive and re-install from scratch.

Zeppelyn 08:58 05 Oct 2006

Try running Check Disk, right click on the disk in disk management and select properties then tools and select error checking. Tick both boxes and let it run. You say its showing as dynamic not basic. Did you let XP do this when you first booted PC?

Grantrh 09:02 05 Oct 2006

Maybe trying connecting it to a different SATA controller on your motherboard.

fantazjusz 09:07 05 Oct 2006

Zeppelyn: I'll try to run checkdisk, too

xania: well, that's definitely what I would opt for: I don't have anything on the C: drive except for the system so I can format it and reinstall my OS.

But I was just wondering if there was a problem with hardware...
well, I have one more question for you then:
on my mobo (gigabyte 965p-s), I have 4 sata-II slots (yellow) and 2 GSATA-II slots (purple). Should I connect the disk to the former or the latter, or it doesn't matter?
Should the SATA setting in BIOS be set to Legacy mode or Native mode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:33 05 Oct 2006

SATA BIOS Settings click here

place in yellow slots

xania 12:34 05 Oct 2006

Could be anything, but with an untrustworthy OS, you could never really prove anything. And, as I say, what else is waiting in the wings. Reinstall first, and then we can safely worry about any problems that materialise having got our main worry out of the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?