SATA HDD Problem

Stevie07 11:25 21 Jan 2007

I have bought a SATA II Hitachi 320GB T7K500 to run on my Gigabyte GA - 7VT600 1394. I currently run a standard IDE HDD and wanted to use the SATA as a boot disk and the IDE as a back up disk.

I have since found out that this mother board only supports SATA 1 and Hitachi have provided software to downgrade the drive from SATA 11 to SATA 1. I have checked the BIOS and all the setting are enabled for SATA.

Problem is I cant even get power to the drive. I have used the legacy power cable to the existing HDD and other cables from other working devices, but the system and their software dosn't detect the SATA drive. I have checked the SATA drive on another system and its fine.

Any ideas please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 21 Jan 2007

Sata Drive not recognised by BIOS
SATA 2 (SATA 300) is not backwards compatible with a SATA (SATA 150) controller. In order to use a SATA 2 drive on a SATA (SATA 1?) controller, the hard drive must have a jumper position to restrict it to using SATA (SATA 150), and a jumper must be installed. Some drives have the jumper position available (e.g. some recent Samsung), some don't (e.g. some recent Maxtor).
This information can also probably be easily found on your hard drive manufacturer's web site.
If your drive does not have the jumper position available, you must return it and get a SATA 2 one that does, or a SATA drive.

Not sure how you are susposed to run downgrade software on the driv if the board can not even see the drive? Hence the jumper.

Stevie07 19:11 21 Jan 2007

Yes sounds logical. Thanks very much.

Ho-Lin-Sok 19:29 21 Jan 2007

I thought SATA power cables were different to IDE power cables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

How to find a font: Discover the name of a typeface with these apps

The best iPhone for 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)