sata hard drives/connectors

chris-borth 20:28 21 Jan 2010

I have a problem with my computer booting up on occassions. Sometimes I get the load up error that windows can not boot up and requests me to insert system boot up device.
On other occasions I loose my second hard drive.
The problem appears to be the sata connections as when I turn the computer off and fiddle around with the connectors into the hard drives and reboot the thing works. (for a while and then it all happens again)
Are there different qualities of types of cable connectors?
Any ideas on how to resolve?

gigagiggles 21:39 21 Jan 2010

my gigabyte motherboard has a timing option in the bios to delay polling the hard drives a few extra seconds. not that my hard drives need the few extra seconds.

ashdav 22:39 21 Jan 2010

Get the cables with a latch built in.
Looks like a small metal tab on the outside that you have to depress to release the connector.
These exert a small pressure on the contacts thereby improving the connection.Also they cannot be dislodged.
Sorry don't have a link but I know PC World and Maplin sell them in different lengths.

chris-borth 16:52 22 Jan 2010

Thanks ashdav for that information. I've checked their web pages but couldn't see anything. I'll call in to pc world tommorrow and see if they have any. Did a further check on web amazon has "latching" sata cables which is what I think you mean.
Thanks v much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017