SATA Hard drive recovery

james66 08:43 24 Mar 2008

Hi
sisters computer packed up .Will not boot into windows (XP).Just get screen where you can load in safe mode ,last good config,etc .Either one just has the same results.Starts to load then after about 10 secs just cyles back to the safe mode etc page .
Ran computer self test,came up with hard drive failure.(Samsung HD160JJ/P Hard drive)
Gives you an option to recover ,but you loose all user data .
Removed hard drive to plug into my computer,to try and recover data but mine is ide.Is there any leads i can by to enable data recovery .

johndrew 10:18 24 Mar 2008

If your PC is not SATA capable I am unaware of any way you could load the drive to it unless you can find a SATA caddy that will connect to USB. If your PC is SATA capable then you can use the leads from the other PC and connect to your motherboard; you may have to load the SATA drivers for your motherboard to enable it.

OR

You could try a repair click here this will repair all XP files but you will lose all updates. One advantage is that you should save all your personal data, photos etc.

jimv7 11:40 24 Mar 2008

Ebay click here

Maplins click here

google for sata to ide, loads there.

james66 19:57 30 Mar 2008

Sister has taken her hard drive to P.C world ,this is where she bought the computer from from a year ago. They have told her the hard drive is knackered,Which was my initial thought.They can sell her a new drive,but because she never made a back up disc, she will have to get one from compaq at a cost .XP was pre installed and the computer came with no disc's.
Now i may be on the wrong track here but how can a back up disc restore windows on her new hard drive .I thought they just allowed you to boot windows from a partition on the original drive.

Rob_08 20:21 30 Mar 2008

@james66
Now i may be on the wrong track here but how can a back up disc restore windows on her new hard drive .I thought they just allowed you to boot windows from a partition on the original drive.

Usually these type of systems come with the option to create a recovery disk /backup disk, when these are made they create your own installation disk. Thats how companies like HP do them. And Compaq is part of HP.
With a recovery disk made, you can then delete the partition.

johndrew 10:06 31 Mar 2008

Correct me if I`m wrong but wasn`t there a case recently where one of the laptop manufacturers was taken to task for not supplying a system disk?

If it was HP/Compaq then there is a case for getting a disk supplied FOC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?