sata hard drive not recognized

Frederick J-334506 14:24 15 Oct 2007

I have a seagate sata hard drive installed on as asus A8V deluxe mboard. I have had xp home sp2 installed but wish to reformat and re-install the os. System boots but shows no hard drive attached. have set bios to both raid and ide options and have tried varios cables and all sata connections on m/board. Can anyone advise how I can get the os and bios to see sata drive or is my only option to fit ide drive and boot to that?

johndrew 14:44 15 Oct 2007

I presume you have used the Asus installation disk to install all the necessary drivers for SATA.

Unless you intend to use a RAID set up you shouldn`t need to reset the BIOS, but you may need to ensure it is seeing both IDE and SATA drives. I believe your motherboard automatically detects SATA drives but you may have to set detection to `Auto`.

If you open `Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management` can you see the drive then?

johndrew 14:47 15 Oct 2007

Should have said. Your motherboard manual (if you haven`t got one it should be available for Asus online) should tell you exactly how to set the BIOS preferences to see your SATA drive.

Frederick J-334506 10:12 17 Oct 2007

john, thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I cannot access the drive as windows and bios do not see it. I think you may be right about sata drivers so I am going to try an f6 install of drivers copied from mboard cd. Asus manual has no guidance I can find. Do you know if drive should be attached to sata raid 1 or sata 1 during installation process

johndrew 15:24 17 Oct 2007

If you are not using RAID you should connect to the normal SATA connectors. I think they are to the right of the red RAID connectors on your motherboard. I doesn`t really matter which connector you use provided the PC knows which drive to boot from. No.1 is lower right of the pair normally.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:09 17 Oct 2007

Set BIOS to boot from SCCSI device

this is how BIOS sees a SATA drive especially if SATA drivers are built into BIOS.

Frederick J-334506 17:15 18 Oct 2007

To get os to see the drive I have used ASUS 'make disk utility' which installs the drive as raid 0+1 on raid one connector. Used f6 to install Promise raid driver from the make disk utility. Would not install from floppy which only contained drivers downloaded from asus. I think I can now leave drive on raid one as it boots fine although it has been suggested that I can now connect drive to sata 1 connection.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions which put me on the right track

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?