SATA & DVD DRIVE INSTALLATION INFO:

23790954 11:00 01 Aug 2010

Hello there again, to all my good friends on this forum. I have been curious about this information for some time, and as I am about to build another new system, I would like to know the answer to it.
Having built many systems successfully over the last few years, I do not pretend to know everything about the computer system.
On this system I will be fitting a SATA connected DVD ROM DRIVE, but as I have 2 fairly new IDE DVD WRITER Drives, I will be fitting one of these.
Considering that only the DVD WRITER drive, will be fitted with an IDE cable, which fitting would make for the BEST result.
a. Making the single IDE drive SLAVE, and connecting it to the slave part of the IDE cable;
b. Making the single IDE drive MASTER, and connecting it to the MASTER part of the IDE cable, leaving the SLAVE IDE connector empty:
As I have really not any experience in knowing this, I would be grateful for someones advice on the matter.
Many thanks to anyone who advises me on this matter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:35 01 Aug 2010

N general

If you only have one drive on the IDE it should be master - if 80 wire cable then it doesn't matter where, if 40 wire then should be at the end.

Cable select is only really successful with 80 wire

-----------

I've never had much success with cable select know lots of problems especially if trying to boot from CD

As yours is a new system I'm sure it will be 80 wire.

23790954 11:38 01 Aug 2010

Many Thanks again for your valuable advice Fruit Bat. Job Sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?