sata drives

sittingduck 20:01 01 Feb 2006

i have just installed a sata drive into sata slot 1 on my mobo instaaled xp all ok and it runs fine until i connect my old IDE, i want the sats as master and nIDE as slave but it just wont have it it will alweays try and boot from the IDE, and i cant find a sata boot option it the boot order in the bios, i have contact pc world support centre and guess what they have not got a clue please help.

Totally-braindead 20:03 01 Feb 2006

In the BIOS if you want the SATA as the main drive you will usually find it refered to in the boot order as a SCSI drive. Set that as first boot device and it should be fine.

PaulB2005 20:04 01 Feb 2006

What mobo?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:10 01 Feb 2006

Installing XP on SATA drive
Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP.
Master and Slave
Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver
Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings
When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver
Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.
With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available.If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

sittingduck 20:14 01 Feb 2006

thanks for all the help, so i shall go and search for the sata driver

PaulB2005 20:16 01 Feb 2006

No. You don't need it if you have already installed XP on it.

Sadly it appears Fruit Bat /\0/\ didn't read your thread probably and pasted an answer that relates to problems with setting up SATA drives.. It doesn't relating to your problems as you already have XP installed OK.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:11 01 Feb 2006

BIOS settings revisited
Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available.If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

sittingduck 22:25 02 Feb 2006

right i have got the sata running fine on its own so at least im getting some where, on my bios i have 1st boot cd rom 2nd boot cd rom 3rd boot hdd 0 this was the default so i have set it to 3 rd boot SCSI but it still tries to boot from the ide, now i have been told to slave the ide drive from a cd drive so i had dvd reader set as master on its on ide cable then the dvd burner as master then slaved the ide drive of this but it still did not work jut got a read error press crtl alt del to resart,

sittingduck 22:27 02 Feb 2006

ps thanks for all the advise it is very much appreciated, i just hope that with all your help it can be sorted

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:51 02 Feb 2006

Its trying to read the CDs then the IDE (HDDO) then finally the sata drive

so set
first boot CDrom

2nd scsi

3rd HDDO

sittingduck 23:54 02 Feb 2006

well i'm at work now but thanks i'll try that in the morning,

was i informed correctly about slaving the ide HDD drive from the burner?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?