SATA DRIVERS

Condom 18:46 05 Nov 2008

I am putting together a "newer" computer for my son which has 2 SATA 1 drive plugs. I am told that I need to load drivers for these from a floppy as the DVD will not work at this point. I had hoped to do away with a floppy drive but it seems like I will need a USB floppy just to do this. Am I confused or is there an alternative way to do this.

I've never used SATA drives before so where do I find the drivers? I am using a MSI K7N2 Delta 2 MOBO with an AMD XP3200+

woodchip 18:53 05 Nov 2008

If its a new Motherboard, It may be supported without loading drivers. You need to check

thms 18:56 05 Nov 2008

If you are using only one hdd there is no need to load sata drivers. Set bios to boot from cd and load os. I use sata drives on both my computers and have never loaded any drivers.

You may need to change your settings in your bios but that depends on what type of motherboard you are using.

woodchip 18:58 05 Nov 2008

If its a new Motherboard, It may be supported without loading drivers. You need to check this may help. its for your board click here

As first like Windows should see the drive and load drivers for it click here

Condom 19:03 05 Nov 2008

woodchip
The MSI K7N2 Delta 2 MOBO is 2nd hand and is about 4 years old. I managed to get hold of a brand new AMD XP3200+ still in its box (absolutely genuine) but decided to go SATA rather than IDE as it has 2 SATA 1 plugs or whatever you call them. I purchased a new SATA hard drive and DVD recorder but decided against a Floppy Dive. My doesn't play games so this will be OK for his current needs as the MOBO takes 3 GB memory.

woodchip 19:10 05 Nov 2008

Its the same board it should load from the CD

Condom 19:18 05 Nov 2008

OK. I will give this a try tomorrow and see how things go. Hopefully it will work without the need to F6. Woodchip, that first link of yours got me thinking I might be in for a very long day. Thanks everyone.

canarieslover 19:23 05 Nov 2008

You may well be able to find the driver utility on this site. It will help if you know the chip no. that you need the driver for.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017