SATA drive on old MoBo - cannot see drive

paranomia 22:05 10 Apr 2005

Hi all - I have been asked to fit a SATA drive into a machine with a old QDI Legend board (Advance 9). The old EIDE drive died a noisy and heated death. I have been given a Samsung 120Gb SATA drive and a PCI-SATA raid card from Maplins.
I installed the card and drive then proceeded to reinstall XP. I pressed F6 during the installation to add the card drivers but on the restart it cannot see the drive. On the BIOS I only have the option of LAN, C:, CD-ROM or SCSI to boot from, non of which help. Am I fighting a lost battle or am I missing something obvious?

dan11 22:24 10 Apr 2005

Set the bios to boot from SCSI.

"3) Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive. If your system still doesn't recognize your new drive, see the troubleshooting section on the back of this sheet.
Serial ATA is a new interface type. Some older systems may see the drive and classify it as a SCSI device if you are using a Serial ATA host adapter. This is normal even though this is not a SCSI disc drive. This does not affect drive performance or capacity. "

from click here

paranomia 23:20 10 Apr 2005

Thanks for that - I am in the middle of re-formatting and reinstalling a 120Gb drive on a 600Mhz P111 - I may be some time getting back to you! I will return....

paranomia 00:18 11 Apr 2005

Don't believe it!! A dirty XP CD to blame! I discovered that it wasn't setting the primary partition - completely out of ideas I took the CD out of the drive, noticed its condition and gave it a clean... one format and install later it worked! Thanks Dan11 anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone