SATA drive not recognised by XP

headdeball 15:39 21 Feb 2009

Hi All
I had a problem withh my SATA hard drive.Some corrupt file,I think.It won't boot.So I installed XP onto a EIDE drive set as master,but now XP won't recognise my SATA drive(which is now plugged in to SATA 6).It's recognised in the BIOS and in Disc management (Healthy, Active)but doesn't have a name or a drive letter.The only option I get is to delete it,not rename it. Also the two partitions seem to have gone coz disc management sees it as a 76GB disk.XP was on a 10gb partition and my data was on the rest.I cant even get XP CD to recognise it so I cant repair the Win installation.Can anyone advis,Please?

crosstrainer 15:44 21 Feb 2009

You have a clean install on the IDE drive of XP.

If you have important data on the SATA drive, then you may have to purchase recovery software.

Things to try:

1: Plug the SATA drive into the first connector on your motherboard.

2. Return to disk management and see if you can access the drive.

3. If you can, try formatting it from there if no critical data is present.

canarieslover 15:52 21 Feb 2009

How old is your XP disk? I have just re-installed and it did not recognise SATA but that was with my original XP Pro disk that was pre any service packs. I then remembered that I had slipstreamed SP3 onto a disk using n-lite. Installed with no problem recognising the SATA drive. Original version of XP needed motherboard drivers loaded during install before it would recognise SATA.

headdeball 22:28 21 Feb 2009

I am running XPpro with service pack 3.Disk management is showing it as a 25gb partition,although the disk is DISK 0 at the bottom of the screen and 74gb in size.Does this mean that if I take the option to delete the 'partition'that I will only delete the windows partition and not the larger 'Data Partition?'and if I delete that it will revert to a 74gb disk with no operating system ?

headdeball 22:30 21 Feb 2009

Sorry. That should read as Disk 1 and not 0(zero)

C3 07:35 22 Feb 2009

If there is important data to recover off that drive, then try this.

1. Install This click here to the new XP install.

2. See if you can see any data on the old drive using this program. If it doesn't work, then delete any partitions on the old drive, create a new one and try again.

I've used it successfully a couple of times to recover data from screwed up, although I did use Acronis Disk Management to recreate the deleted partitions first rather than the the Windows Management thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone