SATA Connectors on an Asus P5LD2 Asus mboard

AllThumbs 13:20 25 Oct 2007

I want to try and install a second sata drive to create a dual boot system (both boots running Windows XP). This is to get around different software interfering with each other on the same drive.

The motherboard which is an Asus P5LD2-SE has 4 Sata connectors on it, one of which(SATA 1 Red) is currently occupied by the internal boot drive (a 250gb Maxtor). The connectors are colour coded SATA 1&2 being Red and and SATA 3&4 being black. So there's above and below a red and above and below a black.

The motherboard manual says that boot disks should go to SATA 1 or 2 and data to 3&4, however the sound card currently in place seems to block SATA2 and 4. As neither disk is really going to be a data disk and I've no intention to try for any kind of RAID set up would there be any harm in using the SATA 3 connector? (I could move the sound card but that will reduce the air flow around the graphics card and add it's own complications.)

crosstrainer 15:47 25 Oct 2007

Fine, just a slight, virtually unnoticeable drop in access time.

Quiet Life 16:09 25 Oct 2007

Using XXclone which is free you could clone your present C drive to your new drive and make it bootable. You would then have the option of booting to either drive.

AllThumbs 16:10 25 Oct 2007

Cheers for that.

I also contacted the system builder who agrees with you and says in fact that the order of connection is only particularly relevant with regard to setting up a RAID system.

Many thanks

AllThumbs 16:15 25 Oct 2007

Cheers for the suggestion but I'm gonna install xp onto the second disk and then just put games on it.

That way a session on the pc will either be games or other depending on which disk I boot to.

I don't want to do a mirror of the current drive as I don't know what's causing the cross interference except that it's most likely one of my more serious utils or progs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?