sata confilctions please help

mixtupjack 00:25 13 Apr 2008

help please i got 2 250 sata harddrives and i formated bouth and installed xp pro ? that was ok but after installing all drivers and trancfering my pics on the storage sata every thing was running just right ? so i shut the pc down and when i got up the pc could not find boot device?? i didnt know what happend ??so unpluged the storage hd and the pc booted up ?? but i restarted and pluged the storage 1 in it would not boot up could any 1 help please ? i got a dell pc 3g procesor with 1 g ram and its a deminsion 3100 please can some 1 give me advice please thanks paul

bgrave 01:20 13 Apr 2008

Is the boot HD pluged into the No.1 Position on the Mainboard.

Jim_F 10:02 13 Apr 2008

Sounds like your power supply may not be up to the job - try unplugging other kit such as the DVD and any USB devices - if this gives it enough breathing space to bring up both drives then that will prove it.

If I'm right then the solution is either a PSU upgrade or an external drive enclosure with its own power supply

mixtupjack 14:02 13 Apr 2008

the boot satta is in the position 1 and i have tryed 2 upluging my dvd wreriter and cd rerighter and i have no usb pluging ? just a wirele wouter for net ? even tryed a 80 gig hd as slave and that works

mixtupjack 14:04 13 Apr 2008

would it b anything with the boot sector as i tryed wiping it and installing windows on it and upluged all outhe harddrives and it would not install ?

Jim_F 10:01 14 Apr 2008

Its possible the boot sector was corrupted, if its an old version of XP you may also be lacking large HD and/or SATA support.

First things first - does Windows see the drive ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?