SATA Cable Connection

Dave.S 12:48 19 Aug 2008

Hi,
I have just upgraded all my system with new mobo, cpu, SATA hdd's etc. I have installed Vista home Premium and have had this running for 7 days now. All runs well for most of the time, but every couple of days my system stops. It seems ok one min and then just stops responding. I have had this problem before with SATA, and all i do is turn the computer off, open the case, disconnect the SATA connection and reconnect. This cures the problem for a few days and then it happens again.

Has anyone any suggestions? Im i doing something wrong.
The drives and system seem to be running cool enough, and have worked for over 14 hours or more before.

Thanks for any help advice.

Dave

iqs 14:43 19 Aug 2008

You could try another SATA cable,have you connected the SATA cable to the first SATA controller on the MB.
When you fitted the new HDD,did you install all the MB drivers.

woodchip 14:45 19 Aug 2008

My thoughts also was Cable

Dave.S 14:57 19 Aug 2008

As it happens, No it is not on the first SATA controller, and it was while installing the MB drivers that it first happened. When it did this I totally reinstalled Vista from scratch, but left the drivers off untill today, still getting the same thing happen. It was the sata controller drivers that was installing when it happened the first time and it did the same today. Running the driver disc again indicated that all the drivers are installed ok. But have still had a freeze since installing them.
Will try a new cable and putting it on the first sata controller when it happens again.

Thanks for your help, will post update after doing the above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017