Sata 3, no, Sata2, noo - Sata 3 again.

rdave13 17:33 20 Dec 2014
Answered

Bit of a puzzler here. Using a HP Pavillion g6 notebook. Has a weak AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics and 8 gig of ram. Replaced original drive with a Samsung SSD 840 Evo 250 GB drive. Working fine, Sata showing 6gb/s and read and write speeds 485 and 419 MB/s. CrystalDiskinfo showing transfer mode as SATA/600 and SATA/600 for current mode and supported mode.

Speeds dropped to half so on the Samsung site it showed that a problem existed with these ss drives. So duly ran the firmware update and performance restoration program and back to 6 gig transfer rate. didn't check CrystalDiskinfo then unfortunately.

Now I decided to get rid of the D partition as restore to factory not required and I could use the whole of the drive. Did so then checked the drive and lo and behold the drive was running at Sata 2 again. CrystalDiskinfo showing SATA/300 and SATA/600 = Running/supported. PC Wizard also showing transfer rate as 3 GB. A day later I start the laptop and we're back to Sata 3 again? Is this a weakness of an AMD board or the Samsung? EFI set up correctly (what settings there are) and all drivers up-to-date. SSD setups, Sys Restore, superfetch, prefetch, Windows search, hibernate, defrag etc. all disabled.

It's working fine now but I wonder if the transfer rate will drop again? Any ideas on what is happening? Google only comes up with this type of fault with Intel boards and they are few.

Bottleneck is the CPU now even when the mobo dropped to SATA 2. If anyone is considering a laptop go for the highest CPU you can afford. The ram and drive can be updated later.

Would be grateful of any thoughts on this puzzle.

Have a great Christmas :)

rdave13 22:38 21 Dec 2014
Answer

No replies then.

Mobo now on Sata 3 and drive also reports the same. PC Wizard (incompatible with 8.1)still shows 3GB transfer rate and will be binned.

Any one any thoughts why this happened?

rdave13 20:17 23 Dec 2014

Just an update if anyone interested. The drive/mobo have stabilised and running at 6 GB/s. Why the glitch I don't know. The laptop is running cooler (66C on average) and browsing is faster (IE11), especially this site. Ad blocker on; of course..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017