Sata 2 Hard drive

bob's 18:04 04 Jan 2008

I purchased a 500Gb Samsung Sata 2 hard drive to replace the 200Gb Sata drive in my Hp 7580 Media center.This hard drive is used for storing files etc but does not contain the operating system which is on another drive.I thought it was only a matter of removing the old drive and installing the new one but the computer does not assign a letter to it.It can be seen in device manager but not when i click manage.I removed both drives as an experiment and booted up with a Windows 2000 disk installed and when it came to install it said no disk present.Any suggestions anybody

jimv7 18:30 04 Jan 2008

Is your motherboard sata 1, if so there should be a jumper on the new sata 2 drive to restrict it to sata 1.

bob's 18:41 04 Jan 2008

I do not know if the motherboard is sata 1 or not.The computer is about two year old and there are no jumpers on the Samsung drive at the moment.All the pins are empty

QuizMan 19:12 04 Jan 2008

Have you formatted the new drive yet?

ICF 19:17 04 Jan 2008

Have you tried Samsung's utilities

click here

QuizMan 19:34 04 Jan 2008

I think that your link pre-dates the age of your motherboard. You will need to partition and format your hard drive before it will apear in My Computer etc. The last part of this article should help click here

bob's 19:37 04 Jan 2008

Thanks guys out for an hour or two but as Arnie says i will be back. I will try your suggestions and get back.Thanks a Mill

bob's 22:20 05 Jan 2008

Sorry if this is stupid but how can i format it as the computer does not see it so i thought i might get that option when i booted off the Win 2000 disk but it said no disk present.
Thanks

QuizMan 22:46 05 Jan 2008

No, it's not stupid. I am for misreading your original post, where you clearly stated "It can be seen in device manager but not when i click manage". Sorry.

I'm starting to run out of ideas. If I was in your position, my next move would be to go into BIOS to see if there's a setting that needs changing, but without details of your motherboard, it's hard to be specific.

irishrapter 22:57 05 Jan 2008

If you go to start /run and type "compmgmt.msc"
A window should pop up, double click "Storage" and then "Disk Management"

You should see your drive in there, you may have to format it or enable it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?