Sata 1 and Sata 2 compatibilty question

23790954 14:01 17 Aug 2006

I run a system which has a Gigabyte K8N SLI motherboard, and it has a Sata 2 (300) hard rive.
I have also a spare Sata 1 hard drive of the same size. Is it feasable that I could Clone
(copy exactly) the Sata 2 hard drive which is presently running my system, onto the spare Sata 1 hard drive, by way of software I have to clone hard drives.
To make my present Sata 2 hard drive, which I presently use on my system, a Sata 1 hard drive,
I would have to place a jumper in the appropriate place on the hard drive, but would this stop the hard drive from functioning correctly, when I switch on my system, after it being used as a Sata 2 drive. Being Windows XP Pro, I do not want to lose the data already iknstalled on the hard drive. Any advice on the matter would be appreciated.
Many thanks to all who take the trouble to reply.

johndrew 15:38 17 Aug 2006

No need to change anything.

I asked a similar question on this forum a while ago. The only difference in SATA 1 and 2, apparently, is speed. SATA drives have no jumpers as each must have its own lead and connection on the motherboard. You can`t make a SATA 1 into SATA 2 or v.v.

All you need to do is fit the drive, partition (if you want to) and format it or simply clone your existing drive if the software lets you.

Be aware you may find the `new` cloned drive may become the `master` or boot drive. You can change this back by changing boot priorities in the BIOS or by disconnecting the `new`drive and booting the PC. After booting once you can reconnect and retain the original drive as boot.

jimv7 15:50 17 Aug 2006

johndrew,

Some sata drives do have jumpers to change the drive from sata 1 to sata 2 and the reverse.

I recently fitted a maxtor sata 2 to a sata 1 mobo and had to change the jumper for the drive to be recognised.

johndrew 17:20 17 Aug 2006

New one on me. Either you must wait for better advice or try it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?